17/03/2021

Redbreast 15 yo, 46%, (matured in Bourbon and Oloroso sherry casks)

As it’s St.Patrick's day, I thinks it’s appropriate to have a dram from the Emerald Isles today. As the Redbreast is on of my absolute favorite Irish whiskey brands out there, it is a no brainer for me to pour a glass of something from the Redbreast range of the Midleton distillery. Almost every whisky connoissuer in the world is more than likely familiar with the 12 yo Redbreast, so I decided to go with the 15 yo version of the range.

Color: Pale copper.

Nose: Mint chocolate and nutty dry Oloroso. This is something rather different comparing to the 12 yo RB. The sherry character is kind of old-school type of sherry – it’s more nutty and leathery than for example the soaked raisins / sultana type of aroma which you’ll find in the 12 yo RB. The spicy potstill characteristic goes hand in hand with good quality toasted oak aromas. Great nose indeed. Oh! I almost forgot: a hint of Leprechaun. 


Nosing this dram reminds me a of one fond experience from past; A few years ago I paid a visit with my lovely wife to the Bushmills distillery in the Northern Ireland. In the distillery tour there was a chance to nose an empty cask which was earlier filled with 10 yo Bushmills whiskey, the cask has been emptied several years ago. The nose was as vibrant as the cask would have been emptied last week, it was amazing how the aromas were still so strong after being empty for all those years. The reason I’m telling this story is that the smell was quite close to this 15 yo Redbreast, except some sweetness.

Palate: Whisky fudge, brown sugar. Brown worn out leather jacket or should I say a shoe polish. A hint of liquorice in the middle. Sweet figs dusted with cocoa powder. Dried red berries such as cranberries.  Around the palate there is hovering this beautiful aromatic toasted oak scent which I think is the backbone to the whole experience here. 

Finish: Minty & tannic. Gets spicier towards the end.


I must say that you cannot go wrong with the Redbreast, it’s always a delight to sip a quality dram, no matter what. 

Lá Fhéile Pádraig sona duit!

www.jamesonwhiskey.com








No comments:

Post a Comment