01/04/2013

Welcome! / ¡Bienvenidos!



This is a short history of the birth of my blog.

I took the first steps on my whisky path when my brother and I bought a bottle of Jack Daniels in Benidrom Spain, I quess it was back in 1988 (this purchase was obviously inspired by Slash). Back in Finland we went to our friend’s summer cottage and took this puchase of ours with us. We drunk the whole bottle during the midsummer night (heavy drinking in midsummer night is a  notorious Finnish tradition). Starting from the very first sip I was blown away by its magnificence. Years went by and I also fell for Irish whiskies, especially for their smoothness. I knew then for sure that this was my kind of dram - back then I couln't stand Scotch whisky because I thought they were all smoky and hard, sort of old farts’ drink - my sole experience from Scotchs those days was Ballantine´s Finest. Obviously nowadays I love especially Islay whiskies particularly for their smokiness, so there you go... :)

A decade after that midsummer night I got as a birthday present from my lovely wife a book about Scottish whiskies (David Wishhart, Whisky Classified - Choosing single malt by flavor), the book proved me wrong that all Scotch whiskies would be always smoky and not so smooth as Irish whiskies. Inspired by that book I bought my very first single malt Scotch. I chose from the book the most exciting entry level whisky (not smoky), which in my opinion was Glenlivet 12 yo, and headed for the local liquor store (Alko). The whisky was amazing, fruity, smooth and complex and way better than any Irish ones, and it’s still one of my favourite entry level Scotch whiskies. Since then my interest in whiskies has grown steadily along with my whisky collection. I have noticed that the more you taste and learn about whiskies, the more there still is to be learned about them. This may be a cliché but so very true.

Today I’m a member of the Finnish Malt Whisky Society and I take part in tastings and masterclasses and try to absorb as much information as possible from the web, literature and so on. The idea behind this blog of mine is to collect my personal impressions of different malts, as well from entry level bottlings as some rarities also, not forgetting whiskies outside of Scotland since there are plenty of great whiskies from other countries too. I hope you will find my notes interesting and useful.

Why is this blog in Spanish too? I have noticed that there are too few Spanish whisky blogs out there so the tasting notes of the blog will be translated into Spanish for the Spanish-speaking whisky amigos to enjoy. My wife will be doing the translation from which I’m very grateful to her. We are both Spain lovers, that's why I want to spread the whisky knowledge in Spanish as well. Neither English or Spanish are my/our  native languages so bear with me/us!

First whisky notes coming up in a few days from one of the Campbeltown's distilleries - stay tuned!


Slainte/Kippis/Cheers/Salud!






Ésta es una corta historia del nacimiento de mi blog.
Tomé los primeros pasos en mi camino del whisky cuando mi hermano y yo compramos una botella de Jack Daniel's en Benidorm España, creo que fue en 1988 (la compra fue obviamente inspirada por Slash). De vuelta en Finlandia, fuimos a celebrar la fiesta de San Juan a una casa de campo de un amigo con esa botella. Nos bebimos toda la botella durante la noche de San Juan (beber muchísimo durante la noche de San Juan es una tradición de mala fama en Finlandia). Desde el primer sorbo estaba muy impresionado con su magnificencia. Pasaron años y me enamoré también de los whiskies irlandeses, especialmente por su suavidad. En aquel tiempo sabía con mucha claridad que fue precisamente el whisky perfecto para mí - entonces no soportaba el whisky escocés porque creía erróneamente que todos ellos eran ahumados y duros - fue en mi opinión una bebida para viejos verdes; mi única experiencia de whiskies escoceses en esos días fue Ballantine's Finest. Hoy día obviamente me encantan especialmente los whiskies de Islay particularmente por su sabor ahumado, así que los opiniones cambian durante los años.. :) 


Unos diez años después de esa noche de San Juan recibí como regalo de cumpleaños de mi encantadora mujer un libro sobre whiskies escoceses (David Wishhart: Whisky Classified - Choosing single malt by flavor). El libro me demostró que había pensado erróneamente que todos los whiskies escoceses sabían a humo y no eran tan suaves como los whiskies irlandeses. Inspirado por el libro compré mi primer botella de whisky escocés de malta única. Elegí el whisky del nivel de entrada más interesante del libro (no ahumado), que en mi opinión fue Glenlivet de 12 años, y fui a la tienda local de alcohol (Alko). El whisky fue increíble, afrutado, suave y complejo… y mucho mejor que los whiskies irlandeses. Sigue siendo uno de mis favoritos entre los whiskies del nivel de entrada. Después de esas experiencias mi interés por whiskies está aún creciendo junto con mi colección de botellas de whisky. Me he dado cuenta de que cuanto más se prueban los whiskies y se aprende de ellos, más queda para aprender. A lo mejor es un cliché pero también la verdad. 


Hoy en día soy un miembro de la Sociedad Finlandesa de Whisky de Malta y tomo parte en degustaciones y clases magistrales y procuro absorber tanta información como sea posible de la red, literatura etc. La idea detrás de este blog es coleccionar mis impresiones personales de diferentes maltas, tanto de whiskies del nivel de entrada como de algunos whiskies poco comunes también, y no olvidando los whiskies fuera de Escocia tampoco, es que hay muchos whiskies estupendos en otros países también. Espero que mis notas/impresiones sean interesantes y útiles para los lectores. 


¿Por qué en español también? He observado que hay muy pocos blogs en español y por eso mis notas se traducirán al español para los amigos del whisky hispanohablantes. Mi esposa hará la traducción de los textos, y por eso le estoy muy agradecido. Ni el inglés ni el español son mis/nuestras lenguas maternas así que tened paciencia conmigo/con nosotros! 


Voy a publicar mis primeras reseñas dentro de unos días sobre unos whiskies de una destilería de Campbeltown - no os las perdáis! 


Slainte/Kippis/Cheers/Salud!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment