28/12/2019

Longrow Cadenhead's Authentic Collection. Distilled 1998, bottled April 2012. 13 years old. Bourbon Hogshead. 306 bottles, 55.0 % Vol.

Expections are always in high altitudes when you crack open a Cadenhead’s bottling from the Springbank distillery. ( …oops, I broke the cork, but no worries, I have a few spares…)

Color: Straw.

Nose: I know, this is from Islay – someone eager might shout in a blind tasting. Barbeque bacon & sweet peat. A bowl of ripe tropical fruits next to a cow stable. Haha!- a hint of Suave hair cream which my dad used to comb into his black hair in my childhood (it is not an unpleasent odor) . Very nice and alluring aromas, so how about the palate?

Palate: First impression - somehow it reminds me of Ardbeg’s Airigh Nam Beist 1990. I cannot pinpoint exactly what it is, but perhabs it is this creamy sweet smokiness that rings the bells.  Gentle sweet’n oily vegetal peat. Mustard oil and salmiac (Turkish pepper, a famous Finnish salmiac sweet), toasted oak with smoked vanilla custard. The balance is spot on as neat. Adding water emhasizes vanilla notes and adds a little chalkiness to the palate. 

Finish: Medium lenght. Dries out to a little chili heat.

As you might know I’ve always been a fan of these pure bourbon matured whiskies and this robust beauty makes absolutely no difference.  Perfect winter warmer as they say.

www.cadenhead.scot

No comments:

Post a Comment